Mancunian Techno upstart Barney Khan is a recent addition in the long line of UK club producers that call Berlin home. Still in his early 20s, he established Bis Bald Records as a label ‘with no pre-determined path’, and has already churned out three high calibre releases from himself; ‘Apakon/Renaissance’, the ‘Despot’ EP and most recently, ‘Wrath’.
In a little over a year Khan has carved a niche within the bewilderingly cluttered climate of Berlin’s electronic underground. Digging deeper into the narrative of club music, he describes his approach to the recent EP as a quest to ‘explore human empathy and expectations found on the dancefloor. With ‘Dawn’ I wanted to make something that appeals to the primal state we seem to regress to on the dance floor.’ With firm support from the likes of Mary Anne-Hobbs and a A/V show in the pipeline, the next 12 months look promising for the young producer.
Khan throws down on Hyp 243 with a suitably raucous journey through some of the best Techno in the past few years. Opening proceedings with the clattering ambience of Scuba’s ‘Levitation’ from this year’s ‘Claustrophobia’ LP, Khan then gives us a taste of two of his own understated constructions before launching into a barrage of full throttle dance floor artillery from the likes of UVB, Lucy and Objekt.
‘Wrath’ is out now on Bis Bald Records. Buy it here.
- Scuba – Levitation – Hotflush
- Barney Khan – Despot – Bis Bald
- Barney Khan – Wrath – Bis Bald
- Terence Fixmer – Aktion Mekanik Theme (Kobosil 44 Version) – Ostgut Ton
- Monoloc – Things (Rodhad Remix – CLR)
- UVB – Second life – Mord
- Polar Inertia – Vertical Ice – Dement3d
- Ø [Phase] – Perplexed (Rødhåd’s Extended Mix) – Token
- Lucy – The Self As Another – Stroboscopic Artefacts
- Moderat – Seamonkey – BPitch Control
- Objekt – CLK Recovery – Objekt
- Octane & DLR – Cometh The Horde – Dispatch