Mali Larrington-Nelson, better known as producer and DJ Shy One, has been doing her thing for a minute now.
First catching the music bug at a youth centre’s DJ course in ’03 run by scratch king DJ Blakey, a young Shy began honing her skills behind deck and collecting white labels from the main players of the early grime and garage circuit – Wiley, Target, Danny Weed, Wookie, etc.
Experimenting with beats via Fruity Loops, Shy’s productions delved beyond the boundaries of any genre, educated on a range of soulful sounds from her folks, late night pirate radio and the dustier sections in records shops like Uptown and Blackmarket.
Her first release came in 2011 via Scratcha’s DVA music. Forming a close bond with the producer, three of Shy’s four releases have come via his imprint, including ten-track LP Bedknobs and Boomkicks and the recent WaterFalls EP which, much like her DJ style, explores a range of left-field club styles bound together by an underlying playfulness and soulful bounce.
Due to close our 18th birthday series this Friday 17 alongside comrades Naina and Tash LC, we hit up Shy for a mix to see what she’s currently digging. With an eclectic selection of cuts that range from the fresh heat of Hessle’s Joe and Ikonika to classics from Bugz In The Attic and Omar S, tuck in below.
1. Joe – MPH
2. Karizma – 2wice
3. Bugz in The Attic – Transcend Me
4. Larri Laurent – Lefnright
5. Cruel Boyz – Umeqo Emagqomini (Dub Mix)
5. Big Strick – Whatup Doe (Omar S Remix)
6. Akito – Catching Feels
7. Bash & T – 1303
8. Wookie – Plutonomy
9. Bryte x Gafacci – I Like Your Girlfriend (Oyinboy Remix)
10. Akito – Lighter x North London Akito Blend
11. Leggoh – I Chant, You Vogue
12. Ikonika – Oral Suspension
13. Helix – Untitled (E-Mix)
14. Drae Da Ski Mask – Baille Da Skimask Toxic Version
15. Shy One – Untitled 9 (Igloo Noise Remix)
16. Helix – Chop Squad Dance Anthem
17. MC CREU – PASSINHO DO MACACO SKIMIX (Drae Da Ski Mask)
18. Shy One – Lads
Shy One plays Hyponik’s 18th birthday alongside Tash LC and Naina on November 17 at Hoxton’s Number 177. More info here.
Feature Image: Ojerime